Thread: AK post flop
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: AK post flop

[ QUOTE ]
It was just a suggestion based on two posts. Your latter comment shows I was probably incorrect.

Personally I think you should push or fold preflop depending on what you think your opponent has. I'll take a coinflip here as the pot is probably large enough (Without ICMing it) and I'll probably push. A call doesn't do much other than invite your opponent to hit free cards on the occasions when he is behind.
You'll hit the flop 1/3rd of the time, and lose 1/2 your stack the rest of the time (Unless you're going to pull some kind of funky stop go if you really think he has a small pocket pair.... a read I'd find very hard to make here)
As a very rough rule of thumb, I don't like to call off more of my stack than the percentage of the time I will take down the pot..... the obvious exception being when I choose to go all in.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Lori, for the great advice. I think I'm starting to "get it" here and am now in favor of pushing instead of calling, particularly at an $11 where villain's range is pretty wide.