View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003, 01:33 PM

Default Old Man Tricked Me

$6-$12 at Commerce. Eighthanded and three limpers to me in SB. I see A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]and complete. BB knuckles and five to the flop.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet without hesitation on purpose, hoping that any king out there would think I was bluffing. BB folds. Old Man in EP calls. I've had a good read on him. Chronic chaser but will play aggressive if he has a whopper. He was up a rack from his loose play, but an hour later is really shortstacked from it. Only one LP caller. Three to the turn.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

It didn't change a thing to me. I bet, again waiting for some fireworks from LP. I put Old Man on one of his quests for flush. At this table, Old Man has rivered two flushes playing 34s twice. This time, Old Man pauses for a few and says, "I need a spade!" and chucks six chips into the pot. LP folds. I pray for a red card, preferably a four.

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Something told me in my gut that something was wrong. I thought about how I just told a friend to bet for value on the river, because money left out is money lost. I figured the queen would give us a chop if he had an ace. So I bet against my instinct anyway. Old Man raises me.

I know he would have raised preflop with AK or AQ, which he often would. I called time and realized to myself that he didn't have those two hands, but perhaps he didn't believe that I had an ace. I call his raise.

Anyone do different?