View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Strategic Theory

The problem with these image creating plays is that 90% of the time the image you create is of a loose or weak player. For this image to be profitable you need to be dealt good hands.

against low limit bad competition, your image is often in your mind only. I always have lower limit players (dont think I am big time, but I just dabble enough in higher limits to understand the difference) tell me the story of a hand. They mention how this player paid off their AK with A3 'because I have been playing super aggressive, he thought I was bluffing'. Well, that might have had something to do with it. That, or he hasnt noticed a thing you have done and thinks a pair of Aces is a great hand. We tend to attribite the bad calls our opponents make to our carefully crafted image, when truth be told, calling and bluffing too much the is the primary mistake bad players make. So you give up 20% of your chips to ensure that you can double up on your good hands, when there is a 99% chance you would have doubled up anyway.

Secondly, the images you can easily create make your future play very card dependent. Nothing is worse than having a loose idiot image and get a cold stretch of cards.

Thirdly if you are playing against higher level competition, giving away chips with the structure of online events is bad poker. The blinds move too fast, and people change table too quickly to have advertising plays work IMO.

Next time you play, try the same plays you normally wait until you have a 'wild' image to attempt. You may be suprised how often they work anyway.