View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Help me settle this dispute with a 2+2er ($215)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
isn't the more interesting question a) who the other 2+2er is, and b) which ones of you prefered which line?

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]
a. Curtains
b. Curtains liked betting 150, I liked checking

according to you guys I'm in the wrong [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Seriously though, I'm shocked at how many responses that I'm seeing for betting and some of the reasoning. First, lets establish some things:
-99% of the time no one has a K, its extreemly rare that they checked it twice. If they did check it twice, they're likely folding it unimproved.
-99% of the time no one has a set here, this is even less likely IMO than the K. If they were slow playing a set by checking the flop, they're going to bet out on the turn at least to protect from another heart.
-more than 99% of the time there isn't a weaker flush. Statistically the chance that someone else has a weaker flush is very small. Combine this small chance with the chance that they also checked their vulnerable flush.

the advantages of betting:
-Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] might be out there and decide to draw
-someone might think that you're insane and bluffing 4 other people from position when there's 3 hearts out. (very small IMO)
-An idiot might call with a straight draw, a T, or who knows what

it seems like the following advantages of checking are slightly better:
-someone has a pocket pair or a low pair on the board and improves
-an A or another card comes giving some a pair that they're willing to put money in with
-a chance to bluff (this is small, but still more likely than someone reading your position bet as a steal on the turn IMO)

Now I think that both lines are very close. I doubt that you're getting paid off either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe you tricked me into agreeing with Curtains.

You are dealing with 4 players who limped or checked on level 3....not exactly a group of maniacs. I think someone playing passively and check/calling a K (or worse) is more likely than you do.

By checking, you are really counting on someone improving, but without putting a 4th heart on the board. Even then, you aren't going to stack them anyway. Just value bet it instead, IMO.