View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Value bet river versus loudmouth (2-5 B&M)?

$2-$5 NL at the Tropicana in AC. The table has been playing very loose. The villain is a very LAG college kid who's been drinking and constantly chattering. During an earlier hand, he took the lead with a large all-in overbet when the turn put a third club on the board, then (rudely) berrated his opponent non-stop as he tried to make a decision. After his opponent folded, the kid showed the nut-flush.

I'm in the CO w/ K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Four limpers to me, I call, button calls, SB (villain) raises to $15. This could mean anything, but is most likely two high cards given his play to this point. Four players call the $15, I call, button folds. Six players to the flop.

Flop (pot=$90): T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

It's checked around to me, I bet $50. SB calls, everyone else folds.

Turn (pot=$190): 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB opens for $20. I raise to $120, SB thinks for about 30 seconds and calls (seems genuinely reluctant to me).

River (pot=$430): 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB thinks for about 10 seconds and checks. He hasn't said a word since the flop. He has about $250 left, I have him covered. Against most opponents I'd check behind without a second thought, but I felt that I had a good (not great) read on him, and that he had a weaker Ten. Should I bet this river (and if so, how much)? In other words, is a good read sufficient, or do I need a super-terrific read to make what would normally be a bad bet?