View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: consistency and ethical positions

[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying each person comes to his best judgement on how to balance all the competing principles involved. I prefer to call it his "judgement" rather than his "right answer".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we are talking about two different things because a person can make different judgements on the same exact issue in different frames of mind, after differing amounts of thought, or at different points in time. I'm saying that such a person necessarily violated his own values at least once because, of his differing judgements, only one is "his right answer". Are you saying there is no need to reconcile anything here? Or are you saying it's not for us to judge that? If it's the latter, then do you think I'm doing something wrong if I use coercion to try to convince someone that there is indeed something to reconcile?

[ QUOTE ]
the process by which the person arrives at his judgement is really beyond our understanding because it involves not only an intractable complex of competing principles but the unique life experiences of the individual person.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK I can accept that it's beyond our understanding (without significantly more information), but do you think it's beyond HIS understanding?