View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Challenge

[ QUOTE ]
You're also way off base attacking the "Great Society" and the "War on Poverty".

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Let me repost your link to Washington Monthly. Note there is no mention of the relative changes in the black population. But other people did chronicle changes. You might want to read Sharp Reduction in Black Child Poverty Due to Welfare Reform, or how welfare benefits have contributed to the number of single parent black families since the 1960's .

You can draw your own conclusions (link) from the chart above.

[ QUOTE ]
Modern conservatism in the Republican party has little resemblance to the Party before 1960. Both parties had liberal and conservative members within their ranks, Barry Goldwater polarized the party and modern conservatism was born.

So regardless of which party they affiliated with, "fat white guys who hate change" have always been the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me see if I understand your defense. Pre-Goldwater Democrats and Republicans did not represent liberalism and conservativism. Democrats of today are not the Democrats of yesterday (without defending the Democrats of yesterday). Republicans of today are not the Republicans of yesterday.

That's one helluva program you bring to the table. Let's not talk about past events, experience, or associations -- let's just talk in platitudes about the future.

And if I understand you correctly -- This is why you're a Democrat?

I'm still looking for core beliefs (and that shouldn't include "I believe this because it makes me feel good ...")