View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: How would YOU! play this hand:

[ QUOTE ]
How to optimally nut-peddle has virtually nothing to do with general strategy, and virtually everything to do with table image, opponents' tendencies, and the like.

A truly weak player may interpret a flop underbet as a sign of weakness from someone who is frequently potting on the flop (and obviously, your opponent here was a truly weak opponent), but a strong player probably would not. Against this opponent, then, it was a good move, but it might not be the best move against someone else.

Also, I don't think your argument for betting small so another broadway will play back at you necessarily holds water... broadway will play back at you no matter what you bet if that's what is out there, unless the opponent is very strong. Therefore, you might as well get as much money in before your freeroll hits, which may scare away further action.

But again, this is just semantics. What matters more than anything is who else is in the hand with you, how they will interpret your action, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find a lot of broadways will smooth call with position if you bet the pot, if they are out of position and you are near the button then it's more likely they will check raise "to get it in while good". What my arguement was that, if you check , then someone can't play back at you, if you bet then they can. But if you bet small, then you also get additional action from people with stone dead draws "who have value". I'm not sure betting the pot in this situation is good, especially since you have pretty much all the draws to the nuts that aren't going to be in other peoples hands.