View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 11:10 AM

Default K-10o in mid position

Any advice on how to best to play K-10 in mid position? This is a hand I struggle to play well as I will show below.

Pokerroom. Long Kiss Goodnight $50 tourney NL tourney. 207 people started down to less than 60 people. Top 30 positions pay. My image at the table is tight aggressive but that doesn’t count with our villain as he has only been at our table for 2-3 rotations in which time he has seen me play only one hand outside of the blinds (where I stole the blinds) with a 3x BB raise.

Our villain has started with $7,500+ chip stack in which time it has gone down to $3,000+ and back up to its current $5,700 chip stack. He has been aggressive but has show down very marginal hands. He has gone all-in twice one time he lost to a short stack holding K-5 and the other he won without showing. He has also called a short stack with Ace small and won on a suck out.

Well in mid position I get K-10o with a chip stack of $5,500 and blinds just turned to $400-200. I have been somewhat card dead and only have a little above average chip stack (I believe the average at the time was $5,400). It is folded to me, I make it $1200 to go and it folds to the SB (Villain) who calls, BB folds, pot is $2800. Flop comes K-Q-10 rainbow. Villain checks and I make it $1,400 to go. Our villain does a check raise all in. I was afraid of AJ or J9 but having watched our villain play I didn’t think he had it. I called and he showed J-10o, for an open ended straight draw and a pair of 10s. Turn is a blank and the river is a 9 completing his straight and sending me home in 56th place.

I think I played it OK, not great but standard but I am wondering how would the rest of you play K-10o in mid position and being somewhat card dead?? Would you insta muck or start with a higher raise? Would you go all in on this flop? Would you have called his check-raise all in (rember he is a supre aggressive player and not shy about making moves)?