View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: master level bot created?

poker-academy.com is the commercialization of UofA's poker research work. It includes Poki, Sparbot, Vexbot.

Poki is the old code- rule-based AI
Vexbot is for HU play only, and it supposed to be unbeatable after it gets enough hands (large amount) to calibrate its neural net

You can play against these bots within the poker academy software as well as program your own via their API. You can also go their message board to find bot programmers. The software developers make sure to say there is nothing in the software to allow you to employ your bot in another poker client (like partypoker). However, people are writing their own interfaces and proceeding.

From a brief look at the message boards, it seems using full-scale neural nets just won't cut it for 10-handed games with the current state of computational power. Posters have mentioned that moving to 5 or 6 players would make their programs take days to make a single decision.

So I'm not so worried about poker being "solved" for now. 2 caveats to this statement:
1) I think it is possible to build a winning 15/30 bot with a rule-based approach. I don't know if one has ever been employed.
2) If Moore's law keeps up, I think poker will be solved in my lifetime.

A friend and I are in the exploratory stages of building one for the sake of improving our games. However, I would never use the bot during a real game of poker.

2nd