View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Increase my Big Blind hands and aggression

I have to state that blind play is not my strong point. I’m not sure what is my strong point at the moment, but you don’t want to hear about my horrendous downswing......

Anyway.

It would appear that I am looser and less aggressive than others in the BB. I find that playing inflated pots OOP is pretty difficult and I therefore try not to create the situation. If you reraise in the BB with a marginal hand, people are much more likely to stay in with weak draws, or even make a move at the pot.

Instead, I prefer to flat call with a wide range and then make my move on the flop (e.g. check-raise). Generally speaking, I think you can get a more honest assessment of your opponents hand this way.

On the other hand, there is the other school of thought (taken by many players who are much better than myself), that re-raising preflop and putting pressure on your opponent to fold is the way to go. However, I think this requires better postflop play and hence I take the easier path.

Most of the answers below depend on my opponents, image, mood etc.

Your in BB
1)1 limper lowest PP you raise?

It depends but limpers are often calling stations, so I don’t like raising the low PP unless opposition is know to be tight postflop or easy to read. The problem with raising the low PP is that overcards inevitably come, you bet and get called, and then are OOP for the rest of the hand with no idea how to play it. Usually 77 is the lowest I go.

2)2 limpers lowest PP you raise?
88 – same problem as before but overcards are twice as likely to kill you.

3)1 limper lowest AX you raise?
Depends on my mood [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] A8 perhaps

4)2 limpers lowest AX you raise?
A9o, AT perhaps

5)1 limper lowest Axs you raise?
Depends, A7s

6)2 limpers lowest Axs you raise?
A8s

7)1 limper lowest Kxs you raise?
KJs always, sometimes KTs

8)2 limpers lowest Kx you raise?
KJo

9)2 limpers lowest suited connector you raise?
JTs sometimes -- it’s one of the few hands that I find easy to play OOP in an inflated pot, so I really don’t mind raising here and hoping to hit a strong draw and tie others in to the pot etc.

10) 2 limpers lowest suited one gap you raise?
KJs

9)UTG a TAG 23/15 raises, everyone folds to you in BB
a)lowest PP call?
22 -- I think with the ability to make a move on a rag flop + flopping a set, we just about have odds.

b)lowest Axs call?
Any.

c)lowest Ax call?
A9o – more fear of domination here, we have nothing to back the hand up.

d)lowest Kxs call?
K9s

e)lowest suited connector call?
56s
Decent amount of semi-bluffing equity when rags flop. However, I think I could be calling too low with suited connectors, so convince me if this is –EV.

f)lowest suited one gap call?
T8s

10)UTG or MP limps, CO raises, folded to you in BB
a)lowest Kxs you call?
K7s

b)lowest Qxs you call?
Q9s

c)lowest suited connector you call?
45s

d)lowest suited one gap you call?
79s

11)CO or Button raises, they att to steal blinds at least 30%, SB folds.
a)lowest AX you call / reraise?
Call any, reraise A8o, A7s

b)lowest Kx you call / reraise?
Call K8o, K7s, reraise KJo, KTs

c)lowest Qx you call / reraise?
QTo, Q8s, reraise none

d)lowest Jx you call / reraise?
J9o, J8s, reraise none

e)lowest PP you call / reraise?
Call any, reraise 88 up. I find the lower PP easier to play if I just check-raise a “safe” flop, and take it from there.
f)lowest suited connector you call/ reraise?
Reraise QJs, call 56s

g)lowest suited one gap you call / reraise?
Reraise KJs, call 86s