View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Challenge Accepted, Sheetwise (What Democrats Believe)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For example, ending poverty for the elderly is a wonderful goal, noone is opposed to such a thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha...I just saw this. You know who was opposed to such a thing as Social Security when it was first proposed? Conservative, Wall Street REPUBLICANS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh. you are making the same mistake again. Being opposed to Social Security legislation does not mean you want old people starve. It means you don't think the legislation is very good.

Until you can learn the difference between supporting the stated goals of policy versus the actual policy itself, I'm afraid you are destined to spend your life as a useful tool of whoever offers you a nice platitude with some program to go with it.

One more time: no one is opposed to ending poverty for the elderly. It's the *how*. But you and people like you are too confused to understand that just because someone opposes a proposed solution to a problem does not mean they want the problem to continue.

[ QUOTE ]

In another 50 years, it'll be things like gay marriage, universal health care for the poor, strict environmental standards, and high-paying teacher salaries that someone like you will say, "no one opposes that." Exactly -- but they did when the ideas were proposed, and it took Democrats to break through and establish them as STANDARD PRACTICE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, all those issues you listed are rolled up into the Democratic solution to the issue as if they are inseparable.

I assume by your term "universal healthcare" you mean "health care managed by the state". Who doesn't want all the poor to have health care? It's absurd to claim anyone is opposed to the poor having health care.

It's also absurd to claim that being opposed to a universal *government* program for health care means that you want the poor to have no health care.

Think about that for a while as you are sitting up there on your high horse.

[ QUOTE ]

And again, instead of just making a blanket statement like, "Social Security is absurdly bad," why not ACTUALLY EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my. Trust me. You are really out of your league on this issue with me, but I'll do my best. Let's start with a socratic approach:

What do you think is the goal of Social Security? Whatever you answer, I will then explain why SOcial Security is a bad solution to that goal.

natedogg