View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Players using my style against me

"...make your hands harder to read so that your opponents have to play more straight forwardly since they have no idea where you are at in the hand."
- I'd say that that is HUGE. If by the end of the session you haven't heard anyone exclaim - I can't believe you did ... with .... hand!!! - your play is too static. There 's absolutely no reason not to raise 45s or TJo on the button if your opponents are playing very tight and giving up their blinds with ease.

There's something you have to keep in mind at all times besides what you have - what do THEY think you have, and play accordingly. If I open-raised in CO with 8,Ts, got called by the SB who I know is an average player, and the flop comes A, J, 3r, well, looks like you have AK, doesn't it? Bet the flop and if called and checked to on a blank turn, pot it again. The number of times their cards will fly into the muck more than compensates for the few times you will run int a legitimate hand.

This is a volatile strategy that should only be used situationally and against certain players (by no means all). But if you don't introduce a concept of randomness into your play, life will become very difficult.

Kirk