View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: We need a new word for \"gambling\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gambling is simply putting money on an event or series of events where the outcome is not guaranteed. It should be an umbrella term to cover +EV and -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is "investing". My retirement account is essentially gambled money. I could lose it all (say if a plane hits a building or an electricity company decides to lie to the world a million times.) But it doesn't really fit in the same category as craps.

At the same time I would say me if Phil Ivey were to play me heads up for $100K, his money would be about as safe as mine is in my retirement account. So that's not really gambling.

We need a new word to describe these +EV situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a interesting point and I understand where you are coming from. The nature of gambling comes from not only chance but the fact that money is wagered and one person wins and one person loses. Investing in stocks is win-win or lose-lose depending on how well the company is doing. while gambling is win-lose, one wins one loses and there are odds that determine your expected return.

Also, are you saying it's impossible for you to go all in preflop with KK while phil ivy has AA and you draw out on him, you wouldn't consider this possiblity as gambling? although unlikely, it would be possible for this to happen 10 times in a row, but this isn't gambling?

Simply put, gambling is a game of chance.