View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Aritifial Intelligence

Ah a poll about something I know about.

I've a PhD in AI (I [censored] you not) - and a British one - not one of those MSc on steriods things that Americans can hold - and I reckon there'll be things that machines will far outstrip humans in terms of reasoning in the future - but not everything. Anything that can be formalised in symbolic form in some way, they will be ahead and can be relatively closed (finite in action). Anything else, we will be ahead unless/until they can properly couple very sophisticated sensory and 'muscular' kit with neural network type processors, so it can learn from sensory experience rather than being fed info + the ability to transfer this experience to blank units freely without loss. Then we'll be in trouble!

But the guy that said never say never says it best. You never know.

Pertaining to the P-word however, I am sure that, given full access to interview and have the full cooperation of the top experts and get recordings of all the hands in the WSOP etc, I could build a world-class poker playing machine in 2-5 years full time (as long as it could be given the name or a means to uniquely identify each player when it sits down, and when the lineups change).

I could build an online low-limit tourney-beater now without such access in 1 year, full time, I reckon. Ring would take about the same from scratch. And probably a good prototype in 3-4 months.

I think.