View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 06:42 AM

Default The Difference Between Democrats and Republicans

The following is a letter I wrote, but haven't decided who to send it to.

What is the difference between the Democratic and Republican Parties in the United States of America?

Is there a difference between the two major political parties that determine our nation’s leaders? In searching for this answer I read the Charter & Bylaws of the DNC and the Rules that govern the RNC. The majority of these two documents were very similar. They outlined the party structure and how their organization meshes into the framework of our government. I found one primary difference which is described in the excerpts below.

From the DNC Charter & Bylaws:

Charter, Article 1, Section 4. …the formulation of policy, and the conduct of other Party affairs, without prejudice on the basis of sex, race, age (if voting age), color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, ethnic identity or physical disability, …

Bylaw, Article 8, Section 3: To encourage full participation by all Democrats, with particular concern for minority groups, Blacks, Native Americans, Asian/Pacifics, Hispanics, women and youth in the delegate selection process and in all Party affairs, …

From the Rules of the RNC

Rule14: Participation: (b) Participation in a Republican primary, caucus, or any meeting or convention held for the purpose of selecting delegates and alternate delegates to a county, district, state, or national convention shall in no way be abridged for reasons of sex, race, religion, color, age, or national origin.

While both parties claim to encourage participation without prejudice, the Democratic Party adds a bylaw that encourages full participation by everyone except the white male. This is clear discrimination in every sense of the word. I submit the following questions to the DNC leadership.

1. Why single out one particular group to discriminate against?
2. What positive outcome can this discrimination bring?
3. As a white male, why should I ever vote a democrat to elected office when I am specifically not encouraged to participate within the Democratic Party?