View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Best Album of the 70s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good picks.

[ QUOTE ]
Zepplin four wasn't even in their top three albums. Just admit you all bought it first because it had Stairway on it. I did. It's okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. Just because you've heard 5/8 songs 4,000 times on the radio doesn't make them bad songs. Song for song it is probably their best album. I typically put Physical Graffiti and Houses of the Holy ahead of it, but it never leaves the top three IMO. It doesn't have a bad moment on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I also don't listen to classic rock radio, so I don't think that's the reason. Sure, there aren't any truly bad songs on the album, but I've never felt that Misty Mountain Hop or Battle of Evermore are all that interesting. You take an album like Houses, and even the lesser known tracks are a bit more interesting. Some people complain that they are being 'riffed to death' on these but I contend that they have more interesting melodies and the overall atmosphere of the album is better.

I'd put Houses, II, Physical Graffiti and maybe Coda ahead of IV. Call me crazy. I think I and III are close too.

PeeWee

[/ QUOTE ]
Crank your stereo to eleven, and listen to Misty Mountain Hop (or When the Levee Breaks). That drumming is powerful on there.

You probably don't like Battle of Evermore because it isn't a rock 'n' roll song.