View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: We need a new word for \"gambling\"

Dear ChuckyB,

(I have read most of the replies to your post, and without reading them all, I'll express my thoughts.) I understand your point or feelings about poker being labeled as gambling. I feel what you were really trying to express was: "We need a new word for describing what people are doing when they play poker for real money." My answer is....

Over the long pull; those that win money are winners, and the rest are losers of money. This a tautological definition (true by its form alone), but it would serve your purpose with respect to your friend. The problem is that most people don't think or feel the way you, me, and many others "hopefully apparently winning poker players" think. For example, years ago I worked with a bible belt christian who felt that all gambling for money (or whatever) was evil and that poker was gambling. The guy will always consider poker an evil act of gambling -- he will never change. The funny thing was that this same gentleman felt that it was OK to play the stock market even though there is an element of chance while trying to make money in the market (and I understand his feelings).

ChuckyB, I appreciate the various replies to you post -- mostly because the replies express the various ways people think about the nature of poker. I guess labeling poker as gambling is the concise and easy way to describe what we are doing when we play poker....