View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: The classic battle: Marijuana should it legalized?

Absolutely marijuana should be legalized. I agree that we don't want kids smoking it, nor is driving under the influence of marijuana a good idea (but probably less dangerous than driving drunk). However, neither of these is a reason to ban it outright, any more than they are a reason to ban alcohol outright. I don't believe that making drugs illegal in general is a good idea. I believe that what you put into your body is your business. If you behave anti-socially -- commit acts of violence against other people or violate their property rights, criminal law should hold you accountable, whether your anti-social behavior is due to drug use or any other cause. However, IMO criminal laws that attempt to prevent self-destructive behavior, whether it is drug use, falure to use seat belts, or wear a helmet on a motorcycle, or whatever, are a violation of your rights, and on the practical side, an excercise in futility. However, laws against marijuana are especially foolish. Marijuana is the least harmful recreational drug around, unless you classify caffeine as a recreational drug. It is, for all practical purposes, non-toxic, and less likely to promote anti-social behavior than alcohol, opiates, cocaine or amphetamines.