View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Using ALL CAPS doesn\'t strengthen your position

[ QUOTE ]
Myrtle, I think you might be being too picky. Sorry that I'm not your perfect moderator, what can I say.

[/ QUOTE ]

M..........I’m puzzled?

Clearly you possess the intellectual capacity to differentiate between ‘attacking the post, not the poster’, as you have been quick to point it out in this forum a number of times.

However, when your point of view is examined using the same critical criteria, your response is simply one of disagreement and of attempting to change the subject, not one of addressing the issue.

That type of response is typically used when a person does not understand or agree with the distinction that a critic of a post is using to differentiate.

FWIW, we all suffer from this syndrome to a certain degree, and it has nothing to do with seeking perfection. It has everything to do with being human.

If we hold a position based upon a strong conviction, it is no wonder that our natural response is to defend that conviction.

A truly wise person understands that, and will do their best to re-examine their position, not just respond with a knee-jerk defense of it.

The typical knee-jerk defense usually consists of something like....... “You’re a moron/idiot/etc.”. The more sophisticated defense is usually employed by those skilled in political communications......... “restate the question while changing it’s essential meaning, so that one can swing the debate to a platform upon which they can reiterate their position”, or “simply change the subject in midstream in an attempt to obfuscate and misdirect the debate”.

As a moderator in this forum, you possess the ‘bully pulpit” authority to make censorship judgments upon other posters. You are also an active poster in this forum. By virtue of this fact, the potential for conflict of interest is very real. Both AC Player & Cyrus have been consistent in pointing this out to you. You reject it out of hand with your latest response....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I did not say that you dont have the "moral authority", I just pointed out an inconsistency in your post. But, IMO, that is par for the course -- so carry on.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since a foolish consistency is but a hobgoblin, I intend to have many inconsistencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my opinion that you must either learn to get to the next level of critical self-analysis, or relinquish you moderator position.

I’m rooting for you to get to the next level, as it is my belief (even though we disagree on many things political) that you would be an excellent moderator should you be able to make the jump.