Thread: The GRE
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: The GRE

[ QUOTE ]
Stolen from the LSAT thread - I'm taking the GRE next week.

For those who have taken it.
How was it?
How many times did you take it?
Roughly how many hours did you prepare?
Did you do better or worse than expected?
Any info is appreciated - basically I wanna know if studying is neccesary or if it is basically just like the SAT.

[/ QUOTE ]

The quantitative section is easier than the SAT equivalent and the converse is true of the verbal section.

Analytical writing is pretty much the kind of thing you'd do for an AP/IB essay question-you're given a topic, forced to choose a side and defend with a 3-4 paragraph essay

As for what is a "good score" that depends greatly on what type of graduate program you are applying for but you should be scoring in AT LEAST the 80th percentile in both section (~600 V, ~720 Q, 5 AW), while scoring in the 90th percentile in whichever of the two your discipline emphasizes if you want to end up in whatever constitutes a competivitive program in your field.

I took it twice, did horribly both times (average comparatively) and spent about 20 hours total preparing using a god awful canned software program. You're better off just getting a review book (Barrons, Kaplan, et al.) and working on your weak points.