Thread: Where to start?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Where to start?

[ QUOTE ]

With the exception of the guy that's already been playing online a little, the others are unlikely to ever play anywhere else at all. Do you think that they can learn hand rankings quickly by playing holdem, or will having to deal with the community cards, extra betting rounds and picking the best 5-card hand out of 7 cards make this more difficult?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're THAT new? Then you're right, 5-draw. Only problem is, it can get a little boring with 2 betting rounds.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would do some training and strategy sessions after you've worked on card rankings and position and general poker concepts ("fold, then raise, and only then call").

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...while I'd enjoy this, I'm not sure that giving even a mildly serious air to proceedings at this point would be a good idea. I don't think they'd be interested so early on. If they really go for it, and catch the bug, then maybe a bit further down the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good- what did you need MY advice for, then? :P

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eventually, you might get more play for your money if you play tournaments. I assume that's what you're planning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to do that, but with so few of us, and so little poker knowledge knocking about, there'd be no chance of a side game getting going after people got knocked out of the tourney. So I think it'd be better to keep everyone involved all the time at the moment by playing a cash game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If money is tight, as well as knowledge/experience, then you could inflate the chip values to give more play. Make each pound = 100 chips or something (must get chips of some sort for that "real poker" feel, no matter how cheap the chips are) and the betting 5/10. Then divide by 100 at the end of the night for the real winnings.

Good luck getting started!