View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Pot odds say call...I fold it

[ QUOTE ]
If villain's range is any 2 it is +2.4% EV. You still fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats the point of this hand and why I replied.

Often on the bubble we are "put" to a decision that we know intuitively is mathmatically correct, but because we are the passive player it does not sit right with us.

IOW, I know pushing any 2 in the SB is correct in certain cases (this one for example) and I don't mind doing it because I am the active player. If I bust out, its ok, because I made the right move and I went out swinging aggressively instead of cowering passively.

In this hand, the odds are there and a call looks good and if we put SB on any two, as we should be close to doing, then as you say, its a +2.4%EV. However, the pychological element of this hand is big. HERO: "I played a great SNG and now I basically am being told I have to call with J5o" "If I lose, my chances are rather meager".

I would and normally do call here and what my way of defining the SNG is: "I should not even be in a position where calling bc of pot odds is going to cripple me. Why didnt I steal more sooner" and will look back to see where I could have provided more distance between myself and the shorter stacks.

I still think more setup is necessary to decide whether this is a clear call or fold.

pooh