View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 02:29 PM

Default May I be the weak/tight contrarian?

Dear All:

I disagree with the actions and the two recommendations mentioned for the following 3 reasons:

1. I don't like the bet on the flop. This seems like a GREAT check/raise opportunity. But, you want to see what happens in front of you. I would of waited to see if the 4th diamond hits on the turn or the board pairs before risking all my chips frankly. But, that's just me.

BTW, I'm not excited about the call preflop either, but that is a preference. I do not like playing a VERY marginal hand multi-way, out of position, even if I can get in on the discount.

2. Bob Ciaffone says that big bet poker is not about making superb calls with marginal hands. Rather, it is about extracting extra money from those who are drawing almost dead OR using scare cards to push better hands off of them IF it has a reasonable chance to happen. With two all ins in front of you, you have to think your hand is AT best, very susceptible to redraws of various kinds. You are either WAY behind or not that far ahead USUALLY. Why put your money in in that kind of situation? I would have folded after the second all in for this reason.

3. Lee Jones hammers home the point that SNG's are ALL about getting in the money. Big stack, smick stack, who cares? If you lay down on this one you still have plenty of chips, so why get into it? Get to 3rd place and then start making these kind of calls.

Just some thoughts,

Will