View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: horse racing for novices

I am still a rookie in this area, but I'd say stick with exacta and win bets. Simple bets. The place and show bets simply aren't worth it. Most of the reading of the horses' qualities' comes from experience. Look at the horses past races. Look at the caliber of the races compared to the one it's in. If it's in a 30k claiming race and it's last 4 races were 50k claiming's and it placed well in those, it probably has an edge over the other horses that isn't always seen by the general public. Also look for which jockeys are the best. Mark Guidry at Arlington Park this year is clearly the best jockey there and can show a 10-1 horse anytime he pleases as well as winning 32% of all his races. Usually these jockeys will be asked to ride the best horses, so that will give you a tip as well. Look at what the reasons were that the horses didn't win the past races. Was it because it died in the last furlong or that it was blocked in during the last stretch and couldn't make a move?

Most of horseracing is logical thinking.

Oh and don't bet much if any on the 2 years and younger maiden races where the horses usually haven't ever even raced. It's too hard to pick the winners, but if your program guide tells you the price that they were bought at and the jockey combo you have a small edge.

I'm sure theres a ton more and I just suck. I'm still such a noob, but I've been winning so far.

Good luck.