View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: A family with a history of addiction ... and me

Very interesting post.

I play poker and really enjoy it (most of the time) and get a kick out of winning $$$. But the longer I play, the more I find it's best not to tell anyone about it. If you spend your time reading 2 plus 2 and you have a couple of poker buddies, you get comfortable talking about bankroll management, EV etc etc. Step into the real world and you forget that people don't understand this. They've seen too many movies and don't understand the skill element at all.

Poker is gambling, but it isn't. Everyone here knows what I mean. But try explaining that joe average or your mother in law.

When I tell people I play poker, here's what I get in response.

"Be careful."

"Isn't that risky."

"Be careful"

"Can't you lose all your money doing that?"

"How do you know there are not people who work for PP playing against you?"

"Be careful."

You get the picture.

Even though it's on ESPN all the time, poker is not mainstream and people don't understand it as much as we like to think they do.

I have learned a few things from my experience telling people about my poker playing: People tend to think they know a lot about subjects they know nothing about; People will use anything possible to appear morally superior to you.

I think your in laws reaction is just the common reaction of most people. You just happen to be married to their daughter and they're naturally more concerned.

Here's my advice. Don't ever mention poker to them again.