View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Help me fix my biggest leak

I think I called the raise preflop with my stack size because I THOUGHT I could play the hand fairly well on the flop. I didn't want to check right away and let him bet with overcards, so I decided to bet and see where I was at. When he hit me with the minraise, I decided to think for a minute about his possible holdings:

1) A7/K7, very unlikely that he would raise in such early position with these hands, plus he hadn't shown down any funny moves like that since I'd been at the table so I have no reason to believe that he would do it now.

2) 33/55/77 (hit a set on the flop), any of these would make the minraise make perfect sense, but only 77 and MAYBE 55 would get raised like that in such early position preflop.

3) AK/AQ/KQ, it seems that the minraise in his situation with any of these holdings just doesn't make sense on such a n absolute rag flop like that. No draw, and only 6 outs I felt like if he did minraise with any of those hands he would be pulling an excellent move feigning that he had enough strength to survive the next 2 cards and wanted me along for the ride.

4) A bigger pair, This would make sense with both the PFR, and the minraise on the flop. But the minraise would seem to indicate that he likely has a premium pair if he's not worried about me drawing to an A or K on the next card. TT or JJ was a lot less likely in my mind that QQ, KK, or AA

I made up my mind that I was beat on that flop, most likely to either AA or KK, or to 77 or 55. I can't for the life of me figure out why I then decided to call the minraise. I think the juiciness of the pot plus the "relatively" cheap price to call tainted my judgment. I think the all-in move on the turn was 75% controlled by tilt. I was desperately hoping I was wrong and he had overcards, and if not I had outs to the straight or set.

As a follow up, what kind of holdings could you laydown in my situation in terms of overpairs when faced with a minraise on that flop? TT? JJ? maybe even QQ?