View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Help with series structure

I'm going back to college in a few weeks, and me and a friend are trying to organize a series of weekly tournaments with a player points system. There would be two series, one for each semester, and the winners of each series would play heads up for a prize (such as a set of clay chips).

The tentative agreement for a prize would be each player can receive points for placing in a tournament, but they need to pay the prize fee to be eligible for the prize.

Buyins would increase weekly through each month, and reset at the beginning of the month. For example, there would be one $10, $20, $35, and $50 tournament each month.

The issue we need to work out is how to appropriately weight the points. We want the buyin and field size to affect the amount of points distributed. We decided no more than the top 20% of the field can receive points. What we came up with for buyin weighting is that points would equal the pot for the first game, 1.25 x the pot for the second, 1.5 x the pot for the third, and 2 x the pot for the fourth, or some variation. This way largest and most expensive tournaments pay out the most points.

What we are having a hard time with is a means of weighting overall performance over the course of the season. We want to maximize participation, and therefore it would be better to give weight to a player who "cashes" points in a higher percentage of his total tourneys played. Thus, if you receive points in 75% of your tourneys and have the same number of points as a player who places in 25% of his tourneys, your points should be weighted to account for your consistent performance. The idea of this point system is to award the players who can consistently perform well. Thus, we feel that a player who plays 3 of 12 tournamnets and finishes first in all 3 is not as worthy of the title as a player who receives points in 8 of 12 and has the same number of points.

I'm still working this whole thing out - its in its early stages of thought. Please point out any flaws and make suggestions for how to perfect this system.

Thanks!