Thread: Heads up Theory
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: CONCLUSION OF MY THEORY IN PLAIN ENGLISH

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you could show me why what I said is stupid, I'd really appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, Jman.

I said that taking -cEV pushes appears to be always wrong.

You then "countered" (with style, no less) that passing on +cEV pushes can be right.

Don't you see that a strategy can pass on +cEV pushes and yet take no -cEV pushes? That these are two completely different things?

Your "counter" is a non-sequitur. I didn't say passing on +cEV pushes was always wrong. I said taking -cEV pushes is.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I guess I misread this:

[ QUOTE ]
there are no circumstances HU where taking -cEV situations is superior to some other strategy which never does.

[/ QUOTE ]

to mean that no situation where making a play that is -cEV is best, whether that be pushing or folding.

By 'situation' I assumed you meant 'situation' and not 'push'

If I understand you now, you are saying that making -cEV pushes always appear to be wrong. Okay.

You opponent is now Lawanda. She is a friendly woman, though pretty new to poker.

Chip Stacks
Hero: 6400
Lawanda: 3600

Blinds, 300/600.

Hero has 32o.

Lawanda is calling pushes right now with 22+,A2+,K2+,Q6o+,Q2s+,J9o+,J7s+,T8s+, (45% of hands), and pushing 22+,A2+,K2+,Q2+,J2+,T3o+,T2s+,95o+,93s+,86o+,84s+, 76o,75s+,65s (75% of hands).

ICM says a push here would be -EV (only -.125%)

However, Lawanda gets very scared when she gets below 3400 chips. When she has less than 3400 chips, she folds every hand except for QQ+ in the SB, and doesn't call a push without AA.

So, pushing, while slightly -EV according to ICM, would be best since you would immediately get Lawanda to under 3400 chips and then run over her from there.

Please now type some short angry comment, then allow me to ask you to expand on it, and then tell me why this example doesn't satisfy your requirements.