View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: I know it\'s good to only play in +EV situations but...

I have struggled with and continue to struggle with this same issue. I think part of it has to deal with being a huge winner at low levels feels better than being a small winner at higher levels, even if you might be making more money at a higher level, since it is a smaller proportion it feels as if you are not playing as well.

Part of the problem too is that a play style that crushes the 10+1s is generally reliant on the gross errors of the other players (well at least mine is), with fewer bad players at higher levels there is less 'free' money to be given to you.

I have two recommendations for dealing with this problem --

1. Go to vegas and play in tournaments there --the smallest buyin is significantly larger than anything you'll find online, but the lowest buy-ins attract the worst players and you should find yourself in a familiar place of being a large favorite but also be risking more money than you are used to. I think this helps divorce some of your attachment to money.

2. Play some low buyin rebuy tournaments online and be preprared to rebuy as many times as necessary. This will get you used to spending more money on one tournament from time to time (or all the time if its on party)

And i guess a third possibility is to determine if moving up and playing only one or two tables actually is a greater hourly rate than 4 tabling the 10+1s. I know you may be thinking long term and eventually be able to 4 table higher levels as well, but if you are at all variance averse, which it seems that you are, the notion of dropping 220$ when you bust out of all 4 tables in a set of 50+5s will probably make you want to puke, so be wary that as well.

Best of luck,
EnderIII