View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Freerolls what is the optimal way to play them?

Really yo have to double up quickly. Slowly accumulating chips will rarely work in the maniac environment of free-rolls. At the beginning with AA,AK,AQ,KK,QQ you may as well go all in, as anyone with KJ, or better will probably call you. Very often you will get several callers and go out to junk.

As the play is so appalling limp in with most hands with any potential. Soon enough you will be able to check, re-raise(all-in) and rake in someone elses stack. So many players will go all in with a pair of kings or aces with 2 kickers

By the time you are up to roughly 400% of your original chips things will have calmed considerably and there will be
plenty of rubbish play, but not quite as much insanity.

NEVER TRY TO BLUFF AT THIS TIME

There are two types of player you can target at this stage.
The clueless players who have been lucky, but rather than focus on these (there is competition from others after their
stack!), focus more on another group (the players who aren't particulary skilled, but are snobbish towards the worst players going all in). I like to exploit these by ruining my table image, my making clearly bad, but inexpensive mistakes, silly calls and generally bad play. The last thing
those player expect from an idiot is a slowplay. You can quickly rake in chips of players who think you are just bad.

When the supply of 'fish' seems to be getting think switch to tight-agressive and establish yourself as a solid player, before attempting any plays. Then just switch to your conventional tourney play. really observe players from then on, there is still a huge diffrential in skill between many of the players.

The trick to playing in an environment of bad play is to play slightly less bad poker with good cards.

If you can come out of the early stages with plenty of chips, and have the skill then you will be fine (apart from all the bad beats).

That is just my basic stratergy and may be really wrong!