View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 04:49 PM

Default More stuff about playing preflop

Reraising: Some reraises that are automatic in limit aren't in spread, mainly because:

-A reraise just after a raise will usually get it heads-up even in loose games
-Sometimes your opponents will cold-call incorrectly if you call, but correctly fold if you reraise

So don't always reraise with AKo or AJs if most other people are already out of the pot, especially if the raiser is tight. On the other hand, if you think he might be out of line or on tilt, an isolation raise with 88 or AJo is more likely to succeed than it is in limit.

Hand requirements: postflop position matters when deciding whether to call preflop. The specific hands I said to play in any position, I said to do so because they tend to make hands that play well postflop. Don't play K3s or A2s UTG even with the implied odds you're getting because they put you in too many ugly spots (unless your opponents are super-straightforward). Again, in limit, in this situation a bet is often 1/6th or less of the pot, in spread it will usually be around half, an ugly situation to be in when the flop is A 9 6 and you act first with TPNK and a backdoor flush draw. In late position, however, any suited ace or king is playable, and I would also add suited three-gaps J7s+, Suited 2-gaps 69s+, suited one-gaps 68s+, 34+, 23+ and T9o. Of course you should fold these to any significant raise, another reason you don't play them early position.

I call any two in the small blind if it's not raised, calling $1 for a $10 pot and a chance to make $5 bets on every street thereafter is just ridiculous even with complete trash and the worst position. Against weak opponents I also call hands as bad as 46s and 97o on the button; the position and implied odds after the flop mean a lot, and they're easy to get away from when they "sort of" hit the flop and there's action in front of you.