View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Main event \"get chips early\" logic skewed

I made it to about 10pm the first day. I had TJ Cloutier behind me and he went out ultra fast, he was really pushing hard to get an early chip lead. Honestly I saw about 30 to 40 hands per hour. I hardly played at all except top 10 hands. What a mistake. I should have played more hands for sure. Next year (hopefully) I am going to be more aggressive and play more hands in good position instead of folding the non top 10 hands that I got in good position. I went in with the stratedgy of playing ultra tight. But it doesn't work unless you continually catch good hands. I thought it was going to be a juicy ass tournament...the first hand of the tournament i was dealt KK. An added story...there was this guy who bought in last year to the main event and hardly knew anything about the game. This guy had beer after beer until he was completely intoxicated. He played almost every hand. He ended up being one of the chip leaders by the end of the day. So I think there is something to be said for trying to accumulate an early chip lead in the WSOP by playing a little bit looser. Obviously this guy took it a little too far.