View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Stupid fish (bad beat post)

When it comes right down to it, if you did have a great read on your opponents and you knew you had the equity advantage, then it was a great move. I think the problem that most of us are having is that it's very hard to believe that you could read anyone that well. If you find yourself in a situation where 4 people have committed 10BB pre-flop, you have AQo, and you can read them well enough to disregard all the strength they're showing to "know" that AQo is the best hand (on an online table with no physical tells!), you're a lot better at reading players than me.

The only way I could see you being that sure is if these guys had been committing that much money pre-flop every time for at least the last 5+ consecutive hands (so you could legitimately assume they're playing any two). If that's the case, then you left out that important detail in your original post. If not, then I don't see how you could be so sure, no matter how fishy you think they were. Even fish catch a hand once in awhile. If you're sitting at a 6-handed table and are dealt AQo, there is about a 30% chance that at least one of your opponents was dealt a better hand (any pair, AK, AQs). When you have 4 people willing to commit 10BB pre-flop, that percentage jumps astronomically.