View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Newbie ignorance? (probably low content)

I noticed the same thing when I started playing SnGs, but I think I've gotten better about it.

A key thing to keep in mind, IMO, is something Harrington discusses in HoH, namely "What is everyone else's impression of me at this table?"

He gives the example of a player who is playing solid values, but gets a couple good hands in a row and never has to show down. To the rest of the table, this guy is the maniac who has to be stopped even though he knows he's just gotten a few good hands and played them in his normal TAG fashion.

I think, sometimes, when you win a few hands early, people put you on being a LAG player and they want to start looking you up. This just happens to coincide with when you are feeling good and maybe trying a few looser opening hands because you've been successful so far. The result is that they are looking you up just when you are, indeed, getting a little loose.

I have been trying, recently, when I do take an early lead, to become super-duper tight, at least for a few orbits. Let some other players become the table target. Then, once a few folks have busted out, you can re-loosen a bit.