View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Using ALL CAPS doesn\'t strengthen your position

Hi Myrtle,

I see your point regarding recusement. Here are the reasons I don't feel I really should have needed to do that in this instance.

I did not let the fact that he directed the remarks at me influence my decision in the slightest. I can honestly say that my decision would have been the same had he directed the remarks at any other poster. So, why should I have recused myself, except to unduly worry about shallow impressions? The posters who have been here for years pretty much know what is going on.

At any rate, let's suppose I had deferred the decision to any of the most civil, long-term and respected posters on the board. Say Andy Fox, John Cole, sam h., HDPM and adios. Do you really suppose their decisions regarding the banning of jokerswild would have been much different? (I would doubt it but of course I can't speak for them).

If I were to put it to a vote on the forum, I don't think the views of those who frequently name-call and engage in other childish and destructive behaviors on the forum should even count towards a vote on such a banning. I wouldn't really mind putting it up for a vote, except that many of the voters should be disqualified because they engage in the same forbidden practices (albeit to a lesser extent, of course). It's not like everyone on the forum has nearly the same level of maturity as yourself, you know. Many of them seem to view partisanship at any cost almost as being their raison d'etre on this board, and don't hesitate to act churlishly or worse whenever the impulse may strike them or when they feel their views are being challenged.

While I try to be lenient and to exercise my best judgment, posters can be banned at the moderator's discretion. Especially after they receive a direct warning and then promptly go ahead and do the exact same thing again.