View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Ab Exercises/Getting that 6-pack

[ QUOTE ]
*Squats and other core exercises WILL indeed have a great impact on overall musculature and will, in fact, help build other muscle, ie. arms from squats.

cool. the more you read on about the anotomy of the body and how muscles respond to intense stress, the more you will realized exercises like the bicep curl and tricep extension are a waste of time. the general theme will ALWAYS be:

Adding more weight to the bar (or more reps, progressive load is the key) and moving as much weight as possible over the greatest ROM possible. squats and deadlifts are the two most effective ways of doing this, with the overhead press and bench pree a distant 3rd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to be taking a sports kinesiology class this semester, so I assume whatever we've discussed here will be talked about much more in there. However, I still don't see how the biceps curls and triceps extensions are total bunk. I think we're most likely looking at different purposes for the lifting. You can build mass through core exercises with little side work, I will grant you that, but I don't see how so many people can still advocate these isolation exercises if scientific research says they're a waste. I guess to get big, you could do the core, but for that extra cut, you're going to need to isolate? This one I admit I'm not sure on, I'm just trying to make sense of it all...