View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Opportunity or Fool\'s Gold? (K2o)

The gigabet dilemma is probably one of the most confusing and generally difficult to understand theories ever posted on this forum. I would try to PM Giga for an answer. You'll probably get a couple more idiotic responses like above, ignore them.

Though I only have a rudementary understanding of the gigabet dilemma, I'm pretty sure for this situation to fit, you would need better than 2:1 odds to call here. Giga talks about the pot being much bigger than it is here, where you are -ev in the actual pot odds, but if you win you have +ev for the rest of the tournament due to your stack size. It also requires you not to be crushed if you lose, which you would be in this case. That's important, so no you don't call here.

edit: See this thread/hand: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1

My understanding is that situation is different from yours because:

1. Giga would have 11 BBs left after the hand, you would have 9.

2. Giga is playing an sng, not a multi. In an SnG you have to be more aggressive to win, and the blinds go up faster. It's akin to playing in the FT of a multi. Here, you are playing a multi where generally you are trying to survive longer.

In other words: There are less chips at Giga's tourament to be had than your tournament. So each chip is worth more to Giga than to you, thus making him want them more.

3. Before the 900 chip stack villian calls Giga, Giga has to call 310 to win 760. That means he's getting better than 2 to 1 (unlike you). Nevermind that it's an SnG and knocking someone out is huge. And that "block" he could win also means more as I previously said. He probably wasn't expecting the other guy to call, but that's not a terrible result for Giga either. Giga was probably expecting the other guy to fold, and again, what's key is that *300 chips for Giga doesnt cripple him*, he still has 17 BBs instead of 20, not that significant.

Giga's point is that even if he knew he was a 4 to 1 dog or something, but was only getting 2.5 to 1 or whatever, he'd still do it because of:

the +ev from having a big stack in an SnG, which matters more than in multis.

Knocking someone out

Losing doesn't hurt him that much.

Hope this helps.