View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Why people who \'go pro\' are the worst pro candidates...

I think you'd be hard pressed not to have noticed teh constant stream of "should I go pro?" threads. People notice that they can make $xx/hr and that is more than their current job, so they think it must be a better option. Your day job doesn't have risk, you can't have a bad run at the office and lose 90 BB. For a gain of $5/hr it's not worth it.

However, these new posters that want to go pro right away and live some poker fantasy that really doesn't exist don't care much. The people who want to go pro most arn't risk-concious enough to be good players.

If you start a post in which you tell people you want to go pro AND ask for playing advice you just might be total moron.

If you haven't encountered the following scenarios...

1) A royal flush
2) A 120 BB downswing
3) Having your boat busted by river quads

...then you havn't played nearly enough hands to even consider going pro.

If you think a plus to being a pro poker player is that you can tell your friends and they'll be jealous then you just might be a moron.

Don't post about going pro, just read other peoples posts, the advice is already there.

Take my advice with a huge grain of salt... I'm far from pro myself, and don't plan to get there ever.

/end rant