View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: An annoying STT tactic

I'm talking about where the relevant stacks are still 15-25BB. You raise to say 3BB, get a call, pot is 7.5BB. You fire say a 4-5 BB continuation and get called. Now the pot is 16ish BB and you are out room to manoever and not commit yourself (or at least really hurt yourself).

Also anoying is when you have more, but that second barrel is going to result in more than 1/3 of your stack being gone if villain does not go away. If I can fire the second barrel and still have 70% of my original stack, I am not sweating betting out again if I know villain is capable of calling the flop with air or a draw but giving up if I fire again on the turn. (In a ring game I pick these people out and test them or otherwise try to exploit the tactic.)

Once it gets to the point where just a continuation bet is going to be painful, that is like 12-15BB stacks so I am not quite in push or fold mode, I am more cautious with my continuation bets (though they also are more effective here due to the fact that they effectively threaten the other guys stack, or at least threaten to play for your whole stack if the other guy is a much bigger stack).

I think rounds 2 and 3, and 4 if several people have been eliminated, are where post flop play is most critical. Round 1 (and 2 to some extent) a lot of the post flop play is trying to pick up unwanted pots cheaply or tyring to get all your chips in when you hit a big hand. Neither of those scenarios is particularly dangerous to your stack, so while you can pick up a lot of chips early, the play is not nearly as critical.