View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: I still hate pocket pairs...

I will mix this play up. Folding is probably the best play, but I don't think it's the best by a lot, and reads on the BB will help. Folding is good because the pot is small, and if you're ahead now, there are a lot of ways to be behind. Plus, you don't know what MP1 will do.

Calling is bad. But sometimes I'll raise here. If I do have the best hand, I want MP1 out. If BB is aggressive, he might be taking a shot on a scary board to pick up the pot. Again, usually I'll let him, but he could like to bet draws (either for value or as a semi-bluff). If he's betting a flush draw, if you do get a miracle 7, it won't put 3 to a flush on the board (if the 2-suit on the board isn't the same as one of my pair, I'd probably fold). If BB does like to take shots, I don't mind letting him know not to do it automatically against me.

So, while a fold is probably the prudent thing to do in this hand, I think there are some reasons to raise that make it not a terrible play against a relatively unknown bettor. Once you have established a decent read on BB, the fold/raise decision gets a little easier.