View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Please help, need advice (long)

Note that many people come to these boards and say "I'm thinking of going pro, what do you guys think?" It happens once a day or so. I'm sure a lot more than that show up, but it's normally only one post a day that generates this much interest.

So, yeah, we see people "like you" all the time. The truth is, you think you're ready, but you're not. We're not trying to hurt you, insult you, put you down, or make ourselves feel better. This board has given us a lot, and we're trying to give a bit back. Help you out.

And usually what the new posters need is a kick in the ass.

So when you get kicked in the ass, you can either (1) ask for clarification, or (2) ignore it, write us off as rude, and go on with your life as it was before you got here. Poker is profitable for us because of people in group 2. We are thankful, every day, for people whose egos are too big to handle criticism.

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me, what did you have to gain by posting this?

[/ QUOTE ]

The hope is that you'll get the message. Evidently not. Your response to criticism is "I did nothing wrong!" Bzzzt. Sorry, buddy, you're in group 2.

[ QUOTE ]
Insulting people is just as bad as scamming them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The truth is always a good defense against charges of slander. The truth is, there are a lot of red flags in what you've said. It might feel insulting to you to hear it, but it is true. Do you wish to ask for clarification?

[ QUOTE ]
As for the other half, you have quite obviously taken what I have said out of context. Perhaps you should apply for a position with Fox News. I think you'd do well there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note what you are doing here is called "mirroring." Most people do this without knowing it. Someone insults you, you insult them back. It is replying in kind. Since we, here, are knowledgeable about poker and the typical failings of new posters with overinflated senses of their poker skills, we agree with all of those red flags. Maybe he was a bit harsh (but again it usually takes a swift kick in the butt for some guys to get it), but it was the truth. And now you insult him for it. You have forsaken the moral high ground in this arguement, so we will, of course, not respect you for that. Show some self control in your own posting. If you're heated when you hit that 'Submit' button, cool down for a while. Go have a cup of coffee. Come back when you're cool, read the post over again, and edit it.

Cuz right now, you're solidly in Group 2.