View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 08:40 AM

Default Re: atheistic morality

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you mean by "code"? Do you mean a list of unqualified behaviors, like "thou shalt not kill?" Clearly this is a deeply problematic way of creating a moral code. Clearly sometimes killing is the only good and right option (say, when killing one deranged person will save many more).

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that absolute moral code (that would be god given) would require every possible action to be either right or wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also I agree that every christian soldier who kills is doing what the code says they shouldn't do.

[/ QUOTE ]

On that note I'm still waiting to hear about this God given absolute moral code that apparently exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll leave that for those who believe it really exists.

[ QUOTE ]
Just as we can compute additional digits of pi through study, we can learn to understand how our behavior can approach the moral principles we put forth.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can try to behave according to our moral principles, but even if that takes us closer to potential "absolute moral code" we don't have any way to know if we are approaching it or not.

Anyway, as both of sides are refusing to update their opinions on this issue, it's pointless to continue any further.

"I'll get me coat"