View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Putting Fish to the Flame. Harmless fun, or education?

[ QUOTE ]
i think you're overlooking the fact that, whether or not they take your "advice", berating them might cause them to get up and leave. most poor players are playing for fun. they're playing poker because they enjoy it. certainly, being called an idiot is not enjoyable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Certainly this is true and a relevant point, depending on the player. Some players highly enjoy confrontation, and I was more thinking about players who make bad plays and are themselves cocky trash-talkers of sorts despite their poor play and lack of understanding of the game. But yes this is a good reason not to berate a fish (in live play anyway, i think flaming a fish online in the comfort of his own home won't have that effect unless you are particularly ruthless with your attacks). My main point is that you almost certainly aren't going to educate them by flaming them, so that is no danger, and yet people use that as reasoning. Scaring them from the game may or may not be a danger depending on their personality, but if there's any chance you might do so then refrain from abusing them by all means.