View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Putting Fish to the Flame. Harmless fun, or education?

[ QUOTE ]
But against a true fish I feel there is no danger whatsoever in roasting them, ESPECIALLY after their bad play has just won them a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you are wrong by a lot.

There are all sorts of rationalizations people give for antisocial behavior. "I was just putting him on tilt." "He's too stupid to understand." etc. The fact is that you are making it less pleasant for casual players to play poker. Even if you don't care about being a jerk, poker would not be nearly as profitable without the casual players.

In addition, enough repetition does make people aware of basic facts of poker. For example, not every ace is playable. It takes much longer for fish to realize that if no one says, "How could you play A3o?"

Now, maybe you are right, and you can soothe your wounded ego by telling off a lucky fish. Maybe I am right, and doing so is horribly destructive. What is the risk/reward ratio? How sure do you have to be that you are right in order to make up for the damage you will do if you are wrong? I think the conclusion is pretty clear: Grow up, and stop berating the fish.