View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Passport / General ID Problem

Lived in Western New York until I was 20. Moved to Florida for a few years, got my Florida license. Moved back a year or two ago and still have my Florida license. It's becoming a huge pain in the ass. Main reason is my family has a summer place on the north side of Lake Erie, just over the border in Canada. I've spent summers up there since I was a kid and during the summer I just commute every day.

When I went to the DMV, I didn't have enough "points" of ID to convert my license to NYS. Damn Patriot Act. Anyway, I was able to register my car with NY plates (go figure). So now I have a license/plate combination that stands out at the border every day. I need to get my new license ASAP as it's becoming a problem. However, when I get it, I'll have to turn my FL license in and wait a few weeks for my photo ID to show up in the mail from NYS. You need a photo ID to cross the border. Therein lies the problem. In Florida you get your photo ID before you leave. I don't have any other forms of government issued photo ID so I'm in a bit of a catch 22. Any suggestions?