View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Opinion Needed on Flop Play

I'm moving this post here from the small stakes forum:

This is a UB .50/$1 limit 10-person game. I don’t have the EXACT positions for all involved, but here is an approximation. I’m in fairly early position with pocket sixes. Two people fold in front of me, I call. Two people call behind me, the next person raises, bb calls, sb calls, I call and the next two people call. The flop comes 3-5-9 rainbow. I’m first to act and I bet. My reasoning is that this is a pretty ragged board and I think my 6’s might be good. Had there been any high cards or anything of interest on the board, I would have check-folded. Next two call, and the pre-flop raiser raises. BB and SB fold, I call, and the next two people call. My thinking for the call was that, in my experience, at least 50% of the time the raiser has A-K or other overcards. He might have a high pocket pair, but I don’t think that this is likely enough for me to fold at that point.

Turn is a six, I win the hand, and the pre-flop raiser goes nuts on me. Now, I realize that the more traditional play on the flop would have been a check-fold, but with a crappy flop like that, sometimes I like to take a shot at it if the pot is reasonably large.

My question: Was my reasoning THAT ridiculous? Can ANY case be made for it? I know one thing, I’m turning off the chat feature from now on. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]