View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 07:28 AM

Default Re: A real question - alternative

[ QUOTE ]
usmhot--
But then, didn't Jesus teach that "whatsover you do unto the least of God's children, so you do unto me"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. What do you think that implies?

[ QUOTE ]
usmhot --
And, didn't he also teach (through the parable of the good samaritan) that you must not refuse to help where help is needed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the parable was saying that the samaritan who was considered not one of god's people was really more in tune with god when he stopped and helped, than the so called people of god who did not.

In neither of these do I see Jesus calling us to go out as individuals and try to help every single person on the planet while leaving our wives and families to shift for themselves. Remember that you are also one of the "least of god's children". You deserve to be cared for as well. The weak old man you are going to become also deserves to be cared for.

The verse that troubles people with your concern the most is usually the one where Jesus tells the rich man to sell all his belongings, give the money to the poor, and follow Jesus. I would not be too quick in assuming complete understanding of that verse. Like a lot a verses in the bible, it's figurative meaning may be more truthful than it's literal appearance.

PairTheBoard