View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Re: A real question - alternative

For me its a lot more difficult than that.

I agree with Aviva that the God of the New Testament is a good and benevolent God and one who's teachings I would admire.

But, the problem is, to follow Christ completely you basically have to submit your whole existence to his path. For example, I have one child, a daughter, and nothing brings me greater joy than to be with her and see her happy. And, while this in itself is a joy to the Christian God, I would, strictly speaking, have to give that up and devote my whole time to alleviating poverty and suffering. I would have no time to have a beer with some friends, read a good book (as opposed to THE good book [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), see a good movie, play some poker online. Now, I know that I could still live the life I lead and the Christian God (probably) would welcome me into heaven. BUT a good and devout Christian, in all conscience, could not sit idly by with all of the suffering in the world.
Some people can devote their whole lives to helping others - Mother Theresa being one of the most notable examples.

On balance I think my answer would be that I would do it, but I'd be very aware of what I was giving up. And, it'd have to be 100% proof.