View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Upping my preflop raise %

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question for you all. Why do the people in this forum recommend preflop raising so much more than is suggested in SSHE? Is this because you all just generally disagree with the book, or because the book is written more for live games and the additional raising fits better with online ones?

And, if the latter is true, can someone tell me >why< more preflop raising makes sense in online games?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that it's a combination of reasons, really. First of all, it says right in SSH that the advice given in the book will not always be correct, and that as you develop as a player you will start to see exceptions to the generic rules laid out inside. SSH was written as a (superb) textbook for the advanced beginner through intermediate HE player; without trying to put words into the authors' mouths, it was never intended as a set-in-stone rulebook for the winning poker player. It's important to understand that when players on this board recommend raising in a situation that SSH does not (specifically), the reasoning behind that raise is the same that Mr.'s Miller, Malmuth, and Sklansky used to develop the book's broader examples.

I think that online poker vs. B&M poker also factors into it, because the online SS games are usually much tighter than live games played at the same limits. In the simplest possible terms, the tighter the game, the more often it is correct to raise preflop; all the examples you can think of where you raise behind multiple limpers with suited connectors or a medium pocket pair will not even out the times when you could be raising with total crap in an extremely tight game, confident of stealing the blinds more often than not.